Saturday, July 23, 2005

Two Trailer Park Girls.......

Yesterday I spent the day with my friend "T" in Chicago. I have been friends with "T" for about 4 years. She was actually my very first Improv teacher in Chicago. It took a while for us to become friends, because all the girls in our class thought she hated us and only liked the boys. As I have come to find out she did like us girls in the class just not nearly as much as she liked the boys. "T" really likes boys.

"T" is one of my interesting single friends. She always has a crazy story to tell, and everytime I go out with her something crazy happens. My husband calls "T" my Sex in the City Friend--not because he goes to the city to have sex with her --My God. No...it is because her life is rather like the characters on Sex in the City--if Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha drank a lot of beer and went to a lot of Chicago Cubs games. "T" works hard for the money, and she likes to have a good time.

"T" is, like me a Southern transplant to the Chicago area. So we have a lot of things to talk about-- like Dillards, Sonic, Wal Mart Supercenters and Double Cousins--white trash shout out! "T" has many talents that I envy. Do you remember Whistle Pops? The candy lollipop whistles? Well "T" is very good on the whistle pop. She even takes requests. One fond memory I have of "T" is a few years ago we were walking in Boystown (an area of Chicago known for a high population of gay men) and "T" had a whistle pop--I did not as I was cutting carbs. She was playing like the damn pied piper all through Boystown. I bet she played solid for 8 or 9 rainbows (the blocks in Boystown are marked with rainbows--so instead of blocks there they are rainbows). She decided it was not fair for her to get all the attention so she asked me and my friend "E" to sing as she played.
"E" only knows old school country music, so it was all up to me to turn that motha out.

Me: Two trailer park girls go round the outside, round the outside, round the outside--Two trailer park girls go round the outside round the outside round the outside ..etc etc

"T" : Whistling her little heart out stumbling because she is laughing so hard, whilst tripping on her fab wedge sandals.


The gay boys loved us. As we passed the Caribou Coffee where a bunch of boys were outside drinking their skim lattes, the manager happened to walk by and he invited us to open mic. night. He said they try to promote local talent--singers, poets, etc.
"T" was all for it, but I started my usual "I live too far, I do not want to take the train at night" blah blah. So we politlely declined the offer. I am still kicking myself. A few of the boys sitting outside offered us their cards as they word for various talent agencies. We have since found out there is really not a market for a whistle pop player/singer in Chicago. Maybe in Austin or whereever the White Stripes are from. I hear that is how they started, just a whistle pop and a dream. And look how it turned out for them!

Could "T" and I have ever made the big time? We will never know. We let the oppurtunity slip by.
What oppurtunities have you let slip by?

Hi "T"!!!!!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Annieytown said...

I love Miss T!
That is hilarious that you were so damn good that you actually got invited to perform at a gay club. It is never too late for a career in a lounge. You could be the next Bette Midler! Gay men take of their stars. Liza will never go hungry or be alone.

I have a few missed opportunities. I let my soul mate get away and I will always kick myself for that!
I blew off the chance to date a guy who just sold the rights to his third book for a film. In fact today I opened up a People magazine and they reviewed his book. Huge photo and everything! I am a huge ass.
I also did not pursue grad school at FIT in NYC. I wanted to go and one day work at the costume institute at the MET. It feels like ages ago. Heavy sigh.

9:51 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Love that girly girl fun.

PJ,

I forgot to post the rules about interviewing on my blog. If you want me to interview you, please let me know. I would love to do it and I will give you 5 questions (you can guess what they will be about) and then you can tag anyone else.

Let me know by posting on my blog.
xoxox to you and F & N.

11:11 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Parisjasmal,

Here are your 5 questions:

(1) Name something that you love about America.

(2) If you were having a dinner party, name 5 people, living or dead, who you would invite.

(3) Tell us how your love of fragrances started and how you continue it. Have your tastes changed over time, and if so, in what way?

(4) Name a country where you would love to go.

(5) If for some reason, your husband and two dogs were out at sea,and needed to be rescued, how would you make sure that all of them could be rescued? If you had to make a choice, what would it be?

Now the rules, ( You need to put these in your post)1) Leave me a comment saying "interview me please."2)I will respond by asking you five questions ( not the same as above)3)You will update your blog/site with the answeres to the questions.4) You will include ths explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.5) When others comment asking to be interviewd you will ask them five questions

2:55 PM  
Blogger Sand said...

I don't think opportunities come again, just not in the way you expect them. So I don't focus too much on the ones that got away, rather on the ones that are meant to be.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Tania said...

OMG, and I could've said I knew you when.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home