Thursday, August 11, 2005

The DREADmill

Hi Friends.

Let me give you a little background about my family. WARNING --if you get depressed easily, QUIT READING NOW.
OK--Nothing really great runs in my family. No Nobel Peace Prize Winners, no Tony award winning stage actors, no astronauts, no Peace Corpse Volunteers. We have 2 doctors in our family, but alas they married into our family and do not share our bloodline or DNA. One thing my family does have going for it, is we have a few talented softball players--but really besides a college scholarship and a rainbow sticker on your car--what the hell else does softball give you?

We do however have a lot of food related diseases throughout my family history. Obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, heart disease, mental illness and alcoholism all run in my family. Ok, mental illness and alcoholism are not food related, but I would feel like a liar if I did not mention them--as they are pretty prominent- HA!

Lucky for me, I have been able to ward off most of these ailments by making wise decisions in my adult life. I try to eat healthily, I exercise regularly and I only drink in moderation. I have never smoked, and I have never done an illegal drug. I live my life in fear of my family legacy, and for the most part that works pretty well for me.

Here is my conundrum--I KNOW that exercising can decrease my risks for most of the ailments that run in my family, but some days it is all I can do to make myself get on the treadmill, or go to the gym.

We have a gym in our home--treadmill, weight set, (etc). Plus we have a TV with a TIVO so I can watch tivo'd episodes of Big Brother and Extemem Makeover while I exercise, but even that sometimes is not enough to entice my overly ample derriere onto the treadmill. I also pay $70.00 a month for a gym membership--that alone should be incentive to get my butt to the gym.

Am I lazy? Rebellious? What? I feel so much better once I get on the treadmill and get the heart rate up and the old endorphins roaring (Yes folks, my endorphins ROAR). Why do I have such a problem some days just GETTING ON THE TREADMILL?

You would think with all the crap in my family history, plus the fact that I am obsessed with body image, and gaining weight would make the decision pretty easy---and most days it is easy, but today I did not run. Instead, I succumbed to sitting on the couch watching While You Were Out on TLC with a glass of wine INSTEAD of running, lunging, and lifting weights. ACK--I ought to be ashamed, and I guess I am...otherwise why would I be writing something so pathetic in my blog? How in the hell is my butt supposed to get more taut and toned by sitting on the couch drinking wine? I want a Carmen Electra ass dammit!
Oh hell, if I just get a boob job then my butt will look smaller. It is all about perception--the old smoke and mirrors trick-- I know---RIGHT?

What do you all do to get motivated to do something that you know you should do?

Thanks and have a great day.

Love,
Jen and her butt.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sand said...

There are days when I tell myself it'll be so much better if I spend all my time on the treadmill but I get busy playing on the net all day. I need to really revamp my entire routine as I spend too much time not working out!

9:33 PM  
Blogger Annieytown said...

Hey Toots-

My motivation is a pair of high end parisjasmal style pair of jeans. I have been walking 1-2 miles a day to try to get to this goal. I walked 2.5 miles in 40 minutes one day because I was so damn desperate to get my behind in a pair of great trouser jeans.

I am not just saying this because I am your friend and I am on your blog but...you really are stunning. It amazes me that you do not see it.

Have a great weekend J!
Hugs
Annie

8:41 PM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Annie--

I am honored to be your inspiration! HOORAY for you with your dedication to walking on the treadmill. Did you fit in the trouser jeans? I am picking up 3 pair of jeans today that I had altered. Paige Premium, Rock & Republic, and I forgot the last pair....I think they are Sevens.
Thanks also for the kind words.

N-

Thanks for the advice. I wish I lived in a city that was pedestrian then I could do a lot more walking, but alas I live sorta in the country so I have to drive to get everywhere. They do offer various forms of Yoga at my gym. This fall I will get back into that --and Pilates.

Hugs to you both!
Jen

8:48 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Staying motivated can be difficult and I'm actually in the process of starting a fitness plan myself. Good Luck!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Good luck with your plan too Crystal! I find that in the cold Chicago winter--staying fit is SO much harder. I just want to veg all summer. I need to move somewhere warm!

Have a good day!

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home