Sunday, February 12, 2006

Island Style

This is one of the views from our hotel room. Simply beautiful. It is whale season (humpback variety) in Hawaii right now...so we were able to witness whale activity from our balcony.

*NOTE* From January to about April every year humpback whales migrate from the cold feeding waters of Alaska to the warm waters of Hawaii to mate and have babies.
The humpback whale is protected in most parts of the world because at one point it was almost extinct. Violent waves crashing onto the shores near Pa'ia. There was a lot of wind while we were there.

5 Comments:

Blogger TessaJ said...

What great pics! Glad to see you back!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Yesrie said...

Oooh, gorgeous! I can't decide which picture I like best.

I've seen humpbacks off the Massachusetts coast--magnificent! And they were just chillin', not doing important stuff like singing and babymaking :>

Yez

2:19 PM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Hello Tessa and Yesrie!

Thanks for the nice comments on the pics.

Yez-My cousin who used to live in the Boston area told me she used to see whales there too. Do they hang out there for a while, or are they usually traveling somewhere?
They are incredible creatures!

I hope both you ladies are doing well!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Yesrie said...

The humpbacks hang out at Stellwagen Bank in the summer to feed :-) I went on a whale-watch boat out of Provincetown, and similar boats go out of Gloucester and Boston. I was too early (September) to see the right whales :-( Their migration takes them through here in October/November, and again from about now until April.

So glad you're back! Yez

3:49 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Ridicuously gorgeous. Wow. I'm jealous.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home