Sunday, February 19, 2006

Love Monkey







I know Valentine's Day is over and we are supposed to shut up about love and such, but as MonkeyPosh, I feel it is my obligation to at least be interested in anything with Monkey in the title. Thus, I have a few things to say about Love Monkey.

I was actually very excited when I heard there was going to be a show called Love Monkey and that it would be starring Tom Cavanaugh from that show that got cancelled couple of years ago where he owned the bowling alley. I never really watched that show, and cannot even recall the title, but I always thought Tom Cavanaugh was pretty cute in an offbeat, quirky kind of way. Wait, I think the show was just called Ed. Is that right?

I watched Love Monkey about 3 times, and I liked it. Tom and his friends were interesting. As interesting as a group of men (one being Brandon from 90210) can be. Tom worked for an indie music label. His quasi love interest was cute, and this Wayne kid that he was trying to sign onto his label was SO cute and talented in a clone of John Mayer kind of way. Even if the show gets cancelled, I think this Wayne kid deserves some recognition in the music industry.

Love Monkey was filmed on location in New York City just like Sex In the City. I love when shows are filmed out in the world and not on a sound stage. Love Monkey had scenes all over New York, mostly in the Village--I loved it! Some critics were even calling it Pecs In the City--ha. That is pecs as in pectoral muscles for those of you in the back of the class. I guess because it was filmed on location and it was about 4 men as opposed to 4 women.

I heard on Entertainment Tonight that Love Monkey has been cancelled, after only 3 episodes. That makes me sad. I truly think the show had potential. I mean it is a hell of a lot better than that stupid show Freddie Prinze Junior is in. I like Freddie, but hell, I am funnier than that show. Seriously. It is a poor show with weak characters and weak stories. Hollywood is in need of some good comedy writers. And please do not get me started on Crumbs. I had such high hopes for Fred Savage's return to telvision...and Jane Curtain, well all I can say is that she knows the hell better. She was on Saturday Night Live for cripe's sake.


I am now reading the book Love Monkey by Kyle Smith. It is funny. Different than the show. Dare I say, funnier than the show? The show has a better story line, but the book is much funnier.

I heard that UPN or the WB may pick up Love Monkey since the CBS canned it. I really hope it is picked up. It was one of the better shows out there, but now that Grey's Anatomy has raised the bar on hourlong primetime shows...I feel the competition will get fierce. Let the games begin.

Goodbye for now Love Monkey.

3 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Love Monkey would have been the perfect named show for you, PJ!

You can borrow it, and coin it for yourself and your adorable dolls Forrest and Nikki.

Astro, although not here in body, still sends you his love in spirit, as do I.
xox

6:45 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Oh, it's been cancelled? Too bad. I saw it and thought it had lots of potential (and Tom C. -- yes, his show was called Ed -- is just adorable).

3:32 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Grey is freaking awesome. Except that I must complain that the pattern of always using a music montage somewhere in the last five/ten minutes is getting REALLY old REALLY fast. Even so, I still love that show.

I actually feel sorry for Jane Curtain. Yeah she knows better, but actresses above a "certain" age have it super rough to find even a BAD part. And you know she didn't make a bundle off of SNL - I'm pretty sure she doesn't get much, if anything in the way of residules or anything like that. Plus, her in the worst show ever is still 1,000% better than anything with fricking Jim Belushi at his best.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home