Friday, March 10, 2006

Lobstah Rolls!


I went to Boston for the first time about 9 years ago. The friend I went with kept raving about something called a lobster roll- which I had never even heard of. She explained it to me and I was like--what is the big deal? Lobster on a hot dog bun? Big frickin deal.
Well, when we hit Beantown the first thing we did was get a lobstah roll and let me tell you something--I had a moment of eureka, a moment of nirvana. It was the most delicious thing I had ever tasted. I have only lived in land locked areas so most "seafood" I ate was frozen. Hell where I am from Red Lobster and catfish are both considered seafood. Really.

We then headed to Quincy Market where I proceeded to eat about 4 lobster rolls. I got one from every vendor we passed. I remember getting so mad at one place because they ONLY served the lobster roll with clam chowdah. Well I do not like clam chowdah, I just wanted the damn roll. I went to bed that night dreaming about lobster rolls.

In Chicago I have not been able to find a place that has fresh, delicious lobster rolls. I am always trying to get my husband to go to Boston for lobster rolls and of course the Louis Boston store- which is my favorite store in all of Boston.

I cannot wait till my next trip to the east coast so I can finally get a good and proper lobster roll!
I love Boston! The history, the people, the ocean, and the food. But not all the Fila jumpsuits. As my friend "J" pointed out to me, Boston is the Fila jumpsuit capital of the world--and I must admit she is right. I can tolerate the jumpsuits though.....weeding through bad fashion is a small price to pay for my beloved Lobster Roll.

(no offense about the fila jumpsuits, but myfriend "J", who is from Boston says this all the time and it cracks me up!)

8 Comments:

Blogger Yesrie said...

Should I be glad that you've discovered the delights of lobstah rolls, or upset because you don't have access to them now?! Both, I think. Clam rolls are a different story--wretched excess (fried clams dumped in the hot dog roll) but a good deal if you like fried clams and want a small portion.

The only jumpsuit I own is from c. 1971, denim, halter top. It still RULES, and I can wear it again now that my Era of Porkiness seems to have waned. But then, I live outside of Boston, so I've managed to escape the Fila craze :>
Yez

5:57 AM  
Blogger jennipah said...

i can honestly say that i don't believe i've ever had a lobstah roll (even when i visited boston), but you're making me want one!!!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Hello Yez...Oh how I envy your 1971 denim, halter top, jumpsuit! I bet you look so Studio 54 in it! ROFL about the Era of Porkiness. Porkiness cannot be forgiven in a jumpsuit! I think I am in my season of porkiness right now! Winter does it to me.

I have never had a clam roll, but it sounds quite good drenched in cocktail sauce or even ketchup.

I would assume most the Fila ensembles are sported near Southie? I only say that because of Good Will Hunting.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Hello Jenni,

I would bet San Fran has some good lobster rolls. I think I had one at the wharf from some kiosk place. It was delicious. I know as a local the wharf is probably the LAST place you would want to go. I was a total tourist in San Francisco.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Yesrie said...

I may actually have gone to Studio 54 - friends & I had a few wild weekends in The City - but if so, I didn't know what a big deal it was to get in :> I do remember one place which easily fit the description. I wouldn't have been wearing the jumpsuit, though! It's definitely a daytime denim (no glitz, just great design).

"sounds quite good drenched in cocktail sauce or even ketchup" - they'll serve tartar sauce with it, but it'll be on the side :>

LOL on Southie. I'd expect to see more "Champion" than Fila, but I don't know how the community's changed over the years. :>
Yez

12:39 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

There is a great PBS special on sandwiches that I love to watch (sad as that might sound, but I'm kind of obsessed with sandwiches) and they featured a couple of places with the best lobster rolls. Yum.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Yesrie said...

SSSH, Jonna, I didn't want to scare the landlubbers with clam-belly talk! ITA, though. Clam strips (which turn all too easily to deep-fried elastics) aren't the best Boston has to offer, though of course they're better than no clams at all.

No one was more surprised than me at the McD's lobstah rolls! Not only were they not bad, they were DECENT. Not at all the celery-&-mayo-roll (with lobstah garnish) I expected!

I've never had the pulse of the Fila movement :> Jef says they started out high-end in Europe (competing with the likes of Bogner) and then watered it down to be more affordable in the US. Is there a reason I should care? :-D I just don't notice, I guess; warmup suits don't interest me :>
Yez

6:17 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Those look delicious!

Did you buy some for Forrest and Nikki? I bet they would just love those.

Astro (his soul) and I send you our love.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home