Tuesday, December 09, 2008

2nd Half of Fave Movie Alphabet Post--

So here is my second installment of my favorite movie post by order of alphabet.

I am only about 3 weeks late on this, but I have been traveling in and out of the country, fruitlessly trying to get ready for the holiday season, and battling a horrible sinus infection.

Before I get started on my movie picks, I must give a shout out to a hot and funny lady:


She looks GREAT in Vanity Fair this month. I admire her for her comedic writing skills and her no fear attitude. Go Tina!

As for the movies, I think I left off at M last time......so .......


N-- Neverending Story - I remember seeing this movie as a little girl with my Uncle and my cousins C and J. It was so strange and enthralling. I loved the Luckdragon and Atreau. It brings back a lot of happy childhood memories.

O--Out of Africa, Ordinary People, An Officer And a Gentleman-- Out of Africa is just beautiful. Streep and Redford in Africa--what is not to love? No special reason for Ordinary People except I just loved it. An Officer and a Gentleman is somewhat cheesy, but noteworthy . I loved Debra Winger in the 70's and 80's, and Richard Gere was hot back in the day before he got kinda strange.


P- Perfume--Any of you who know me at all, know that I am an obsessed fragrance collector. I have literally traveled the globe getting those ever elusive fragrances. Suskind outdid himself on the book, and the movie totally hypnotizes me. I LOVE IT!
We were actually in Frankfurt, Germany for one of the European premieres of the movie and it was very exciting.


Q--The Queen--I think Helen Mirren and Michael Sheen were fabulous in this movie. Totally believable. I look forward to seeing Michael in Frost/Nixon.

R--Rainman, Reality Bites, and Rear Window-- Whatever. I know Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise Crazy, but oh how I loved him back in the day. Plus, Dustin Hoffman was BRILLIANT. Part of Rainman was filmed in a small town in Oklahoma by a church where I sometimes attended, and the excitement when they filmed there was palpable. I will always have a special place in my heart for Rainman. Reality Bites was like a coming of age film for me. I love the soundtrack and Ethan Hawke --YUMMY! I know he now looks like a burnout who needs a shower, but I would still have dinner with him. Rear Window is a fave from my childhood. I loved Alfred Hitchcock when I was young.

S--*so many of my faves start with S so I will not give any details, I will just list them* The Sound of Music, Selena (I know shut up), Shawshenk Redemption, Steel Magnolias, Silence of the Lambs, Something for Joey,..ETC. I could literally list about 10 more but I won't bore you.

T-- To Kill A Mockingbird and Terms Of Endearment- Gregory Peck enough said, and Terms of Endearment ALWAYS makes me cry. Marriage issues, health issues, Mom issues, so many issues. Shirley MacLaine and Debra Winger were both brilliant.

U-*Let me say that movies starting with U are very hard to come by, so please do not judge me too harshly for what I am about to write* URBAN COWBOY- that's right, I said it. I rarely watch movies anymore, so most of the movies I pick as favorites are from my youth, and please know when I was a youth I lived in Oklahoma where a movie like Urban Cowboy was cool. When I was in primary school, my teacher, Mrs. Mosley was going to let our class watch a movie on a fancy new high tech gadget called a VCR. We got to vote on what movie we wanted to watch. Everyone wrote a movie down and put it into a bucket then Mrs. Mosley counted the votes. The votes were as follows: 17 for E.T., 3 for Back To the Future, and 1 for Urban Cowboy. I'll let you guess my vote. Mrs. Mosley laughed and laughed and laughed. Bitch.

V- La Vita e Belle --Known in the U.S. as Life is Beautiful, but I was stretching for a movie that starts with V. It is a lovely movie.

W-Waiting to Exhale--*edited to add What's Eating Gilbert Grape-I love a movie about strong women.... strong and hateful women. It was back before Whitney got on the pipe, and she was so gorgeous and talented. Also, I love Angela Basset. I adore What's Eating Gilbert Grape. It is so dysfunctional, and so entertaining. I think Leonardo is genius. Johnny Depp and Juliet Lewis are freaks, and the woman that plays his mother is so honest in her portrayal. Easily one of my all time faves!

X--I got nothing. I could put X-Men but honestly I have never seen it. I do not watch superhero movies. I still have not even seen the latest Batman movie.

Y--Yentl--It is Barbara as a man. She sings, she frolics, she's awesome.

Z- Zoolander-- A far cry from a favorite, but I have seen it and it starts with Z and Ben Stiller is hot and funny--so there you go.

Finished. I guess I need to watch more movies, but as I said before, it seems I NEVER have 2 hours to just sit and watch a movie. I appreciate Pat tagging me and I am sorry it took me so long to finish this post. I was in Paris for Thanksgiving and I will post on that later in the week.

Have a great day.

**oh and I was kidding about Mrs. Mosley being a bitch. She was a good teacher.

5 Comments:

Blogger violetnoir said...

Good list! You look so cute in the Perfume billboard pic, J!

Hugs!

10:54 AM  
Blogger Patricia Perry said...

Hey you're back!

I thinkyour list is great. I love "Urban Cowboy," BTW.

Email me when you catch your breath, you world traveler you! We need to do dinner before the holidays engulf us completely.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are nuts. Urban Cowboy.
I would almost bet you were not the coolest kid in school.
I love Gilbert Grape too.

6:40 AM  
Blogger On the Go Amy said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAAH - girl you crack me up. Well just know alot of us Oklahoma gals love the ol' "Urban Cowboy" so don't feel bad :)

Also - I FINALLY updated my blog - you'll have to check it out....

MUAH!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Patricia Perry said...

Hey Jen, don't hate me, but I just tagged you for another meme. This one is fun and easy - just name 20 of your favorite actresses.

I thought it was one you'd enjoy doing - go over to my blog for more details!

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home