Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Memoirs of a cousin

It is always a huge treat (and a very busy time) when my cousin Lily comes for a visit. She is here this week for her Spring Break and we are having a blast. Lily is one of my favorite relatives. I feel lucky that she once again chose to spend Spring Break with me.

One of the very fun things about having a little girl come and visit is decorating her room!! I love to decorate my house, and having guests is the perfect excuse to spruce things up. I try to fix her room up the way I would have liked my room at 11 years old. All the essentials.

One important essential for an 11 year old girl is a plastic, fake Birkin from Marshalls for $5.99- SCORE! So deliciously tacky.

Monday we went to the Shedd Aquarium which was fun, but SO crowded. We enjoyed the Shallow Seas 4D show. The glasses were very Devo.

Lily is half Chinese (from Taiwan), so Monday afternoon we went to Chinatown in Chicago. Lily has been teaching herself Mandarin Chinese (the child is brilliant) so she wanted to go hang with her peeps and try out her conversational skills. She was totally able to talk to the store owners and our waiter at Joy Yee Noodle (Joy Yee is awesome by the way) and she was so proud. My husband and I were blown away. I told her if she becomes fluent I will take her to Taiwan. Keep your fingers crossed, because cousin Jenny totally wants to go to Asia.Here we are with the Year of the Monkey(posh) statue in "New Chinatown".

She wanted a traditional Chinese dress, so we found "the perfect" one then I put her hair in buns, complete with chopsticks and she looked beautiful -like a little Geisha.....even though Geishas are Japanese and not Chinese, but still she was SO CUTE!!!!!


Lily makes me laugh and I needed that this week. I am very thankful she is here.

Today our agenda includes pedicures (with my beautiful new gray polish from Dear R-thanks R!) homemade pizza, a trip to T.J. Maxx, and the premiere of Top Chef tonight. Good times!

Have a beautiful day.

(photos property of MonkeyPosh, LLC)

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! So cute!
I love the dress and the hair with chopsticks!
Looks like you ladies are having a wonderful time.
Enjoy!

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Jen she is a beautiful little monkey.
How nice to have such a special relationship with your dear cousin.
Kudos to you on her room. It is lovely. I would live in it happily.
The Birkin is priceless.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Patricia Perry said...

This post just warms my heart!

Your little cousin sounds like a gem. I wish I could meet her - and have her teach me some Mandarin in prepartion for my China trip.

And I totally love that fake plastic Birkin bag - what a hoot!

7:19 AM  
Blogger The Corsair said...

Adorable.

1:12 PM  
Blogger The Corsair said...

adorable

1:13 PM  
Blogger violetnoir said...

That child is adorable. Totally adorable.

Did I say she is adorable????

So good to hear that you are all having a blast this week!

Hugs and love!

1:48 PM  
Blogger MISS S said...

Choosing to spend her week with you is a big treat. She is adorable and very smart. I am glad u r having such a good time. Dont eat too much pizza- yum!! Soungs like u should be on Top Chef!!!

xoxo

4:23 PM  
Blogger Swirl Girl said...

She is so darling--more so every time I see pics of her. What a fun aunt. I want to go visit Auntie Monkey, please please? And... I have to sleep in that bed, and I want to get pedicures, take fun pictures by monkey statues and eat out -- sans speaking Mandarin. I can barely master English. You are such a cool aunt.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like so much fun. I love Joy Yee. Have you tried the one in the burbs?
Girl time is the best.
Enjoy the pedicures.

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have LOVED to have a fabulous sister-from-another-mister cousin like you when I was her age... She is SO beautiful!!

Keep me posted if you are heading to Taiwan! I can play hometown tour guide!! :)

xoxox

1:33 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

She is so beautiful!! What an awesome cousin you are, I can see why she enjoys being with you.. hope you had a blast!

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is absolutely adorable, J., and how lucky the two of you are to have each other. She is going to have such fond memories of all the great times you share with her.
Did I tell you I named my new baby Lily? :-)
Here's hoping the snow melts and we get some real spring weather SOON!
-Sue

5:53 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

omg she is precious. i'm one of the youngest of all my cousins and no one ever did anything NEAR that cool for me.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home