Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Parisian Thanksgiving

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season. I cannot say I am enjoying it, because I generally find the holidays to be stressful and slightly overwhelming-- however I have made a few decisions this year in an effort to try to alleviate some of the usual stress. I am mailing VERY few presents this year. I do not have one single family member in the state where I live, so that means I usually have to mail almost everthing. Not this year. Praise Jesus, everyone in my family has everything they need. This year I sent packages to the Troops serving our country from afar. It was much less stressful and I know it will be much more appreciated than any Barnes & Noble gift certificate I could have sent my cousins --who already have EVERYTHING.
My husband and I decided not to exchange gifts this year and instead spend money on travel. We always say that, then we always end up giving each other gifts anyway, but this year we mean it.

This year a gift to each other was a trip for Thanksgiving. We went to Paris, where they do not celebrate Thanksgiving, but I am a very lucky girl to know great people all over the globe and my friend, Jennifer (she is American) who lives there, invited us to a wonderful Parisian Thanksgiving party. Here is a photo of Jen and me and a charming Frenchman -who totally embraced Thanksgiving--even if just for one night. This has paid off for him in dividends-his good attitude and smoldering French looks have landed him on my friend Karen's FOXY LIST....and that my friends, is better than any turkey and dressing! Our Parisian Thanksgiving had all the trimmings, and it was delicious. Jennifer was the hostess and I think my husband and I were the only Americans besides her. She had everyone go around the table and say what they were thankful for. The French people were a little hesitant and Jennifer said to my husband and I in a hush hush voice that the French do not really embrace how to be thankful......instead they focus on what to complain about. Hilarious. She said it in jest, as we all know, French people are lovely.

The city was all decked out for the Holiday Season and it was beautiful. I had never been to Paris during the holidays, so it was a treat. We stayed by Place Vendome and the street had chandeliers hanging over it. Gorgeous!This is a photo of Printemps all decked out for the holidays.

The photo below is the beautiful Place des Vosges in the Marais. We had beautiful weather that day, and we walked around and had a delicious lunch at CHEZ JANOU , where they DO NOT have a menu in English and they will scoff and roll their eyes at you if you ask. We of course did not ask, but we heard from other people that the staff reacts that way so no way....we did not ask...nope not us.


This is a strange thumb statue by the La Defense in downtown Paris. There was a very quaint holiday bazaar going on by the La Defense also. Vendors were selling all sorts of French holiday trinkets and delicious food and hot wine! My husband titled this photo "Keeping the little woman under my thumb". He's funny....that's why I stay married to him. Ahem.This is a photo from downtown overlooking the tops of the holiday bazaar tents and in the distance you can see the Arc de Triomphe. You can also see the Eiffel Tower from here. I loved it.

We have tons of photos, but I will leave you with this photo from the very cool Pompideu area by Les Halles. I will post more later on Guerlain and Serge Lutens and all the street food along the Champs Elysees. Until then.........Au revoir.

(all photos taken by and property of MonkeyPosh LLC)

And-- Thanks to Jennifer for a lovely Thanksgiving!!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

What a fabulous way to spend Thanksgiving! And good for you for taking the stress out of the holiday season. My husband and I are only exchanging small stocking gifts this year but next year I'd like it if we exchanged nothing and traveled like you two! Love the pictures.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos as always dear Monkey. I am so envious of your life of travel and experiences.
I agree with Carolyn , good for you for deciding to make the holidays less stressful. All my friends and family have all the things they need too, so giving to people who might not have what they need right now makes a lot more sense.

Those lights over the Vendome are amazing and I cannot wait to hear more of your adventures.
Kiss to Finley.

8:59 AM  
Blogger violetnoir said...

Woo-hoo! What a great way to spend the Holidays, J!

Thank you for sharing these fabulous photos of our favorite city.

Hugs!

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to jet off to Paris for Thanksgiving! How fun.
That picture of you with the tower in the backgroud is gorgeous. You are so photogenic Jen.
Love your photos and thanks for sharing.
Happy Holidays.

Jan

5:00 AM  
Blogger Patricia Perry said...

Jen - such lovely photos! Paris is so beautiful. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

We must do dinner soon, perhaps after Christmas.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Acaislim said...

Thanks for sharing these great photos!
Great holidays.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home