Friday, January 06, 2006

Lost in a world of reality.....


Let's get one thing clear--I love reality TV shows. My Tivo is littered with them. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed like I cannot keep up with all of them because they are EVERYWHERE.
I am addicted to Survivor, Big Brother, The Biggest Loser, Project Runway, Trading Spaces, (even though we need Paige Davis back) Wife Swap, The Apprentice (Donald Version), etc etc etc. And PLEASE do not even get me started on Starting Over. I love Starting Over. However--I do not love Fear Factor. I must add that I REALLY wish they would bring back Extreme Makeover (face and boob edition, NOT home edition)

I think part of it might be that I am an only child and I never played sports, so I never learned competition. Most of my cousins lived in other states or other countries..so I was even cheated out of cousin rivalry. Reality TV is most often a competition. These people are fighting for money. People do some crazy things for money, or quasi fame, or just attention even. On Starting Over they do not compete, they just try to fix themselves. Before you poo poo Starting Over, let me just ask you--where else can you find whores, auctioneers, and lawyers all with phobias and ADD and a litany of other things that makes for some damn fine television?

I sometimes fear that all this reality TV is not healthy, and it is the dumbing of America. I do not just watch reality TV. I watch educational, international shows too (shout out Rick Steves and Anthony Bourdain).

Last night I fear I hit a new low. I was watching Dancing With the Stars on Tivo and after Drew Lachey danced and they showed his brother Nick beaming with such true pride--I. Actually. Teared. Up. WHAT? Drew was so nervous and he did so well (the judges loved him) and Nick ,(bless his heart with the marriage falling apart and all)stood up and clapped with abandon. Nick was so proud of his brother.

I was overcome by a combination of so many things I long for in life...Competition, sibling love and pride, dancing ( I begged my husband to take dance lessons with me and he won't), the lithe lean bodies of the pro dancers, and sparkly dresses! I was awash with emotion over so many things.

I think I need a formal intervention. But for now I am going to watch Oprah.

8 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

We do need Paige Davis back! Where did she go??

7:52 AM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Hello Dear Colombina,

I believe Paige Davis (AKA Mindy Page or Paige Page)( she married a guy named Patrick Page if you can believe that --and her real name is Mindy) went to Broadway. She got cast for a short time as Roxie Hart in Chicago on the Great White Way aka Broadway.
I would love to see her sing and dance.
I also think they should bring back Vern Yip. I love Vern!

Have a wonderful day!

7:57 AM  
Blogger Fightin' Mad Mary said...

Dancing with the Stars - my new favorite show! Drew was waaaaaaaaay better than I expected - and good for him, his brother is always getting the spotlight, time for him to shine!

8:12 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

I was so into American Idol last season -- I think I called several hundred times for Bo in the finale alone. A sickness, I tell you!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Hi Mary,

Thanks for visiting. I was shocked at how good Drew was too. I would love to have seen him on Broadway as Mark in Rent. He has a twinkle in his eye, and I like him.

Hello Tessa,

Yikes, how could I have forgotten American Idol? I was WAY into it too. I wanted Bo to win too. Carrie Underwhelm is good...but so um...underwhelming.

Hi Patty,

Thanks for stopping by. My DH actually likes most of them--EXCEPT Trading Spaces and What Not to Wear.

Have a fab day!

12:04 PM  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

ROFL! At least you can admit it. Fortunately I've been able to escape the vortex that is reality show addiction (I've never seen a full episode of Survivor, Apprentice, etc.), but there were two reality shows I got sucked into: Sorority Life (first season only) and America's Next Top Model (most recent round). Talk about embarrassing. What fascinates me is their focus on female group dynamics. I was never in a sorority, and although I did play team sports, female team athletes are working together rather than competing with each other so their interactions tend to be a little more humane.

I do wish they wouldn't call them "reality shows," though. They bear as much resemblance to reality as a piece of gossip that's run through the rumor mill five times before you finally hear it.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Curley's Mobile DJ Services said...

Do I need to even comment or do you know what I would say to you? Seek help! You won't find it on Oprah either. Her "Favorite Things" show has turned into a total marketing scam. I'm sure she as a list of products being mailed to her on a daily basis so they can be on her next "Favorite Things" list. I don't buy it Oprah! She has all of the women of america scammed. She is smart though...I'll give her that. Do you know that every book she recommends in her book club she has already bought the movie rights to the book? Smart! But a little low in my book. Pun intended!

4:49 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Oh, PJ. I, too, adore the sibling amor that is Drew and Nick Lachey. I think it's wonderful how grounded and normal they appear to be, at least relative to the "standards" set forth by Hollywood (if you can call them that).

I actually saw Paige Davis in Chicago (here in Chicago) a couple of weeks ago. She was okay, but the production as a whole was...mediocre. And the chick playing Velma Kelly was a MILLION times better than anyone else.

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home