Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Childhood Beauty Icons

I have always been obsessed with beauty, and all things beautiful. When I was a child I loved to watch my beauty icons on television and movies. I have always been a "girl's girl" and I have always admired women with grace, taste, and lovliness.

I had many childhood beauty icons as a young girl, and needless to say my taste in beauty has changed since then, but many of my childhood beauty icons have stayed the same. The classic beauties have always amazed me: Natalie Wood, Grace Kelly, Sophia Loren, Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Ursula Andress, Jacqueline Kennedy, Catherine Deneuve, etc. This post, however is dedicated to the campy, and sometimes tacky women who were actually hot and happening and all over TV and movies when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's. Women who I wanted to be when I grew up. Beautiful women.




As I said, I was a child of the 70's and 80's so, it goes without saying that I loved Charlie's Angels. Seriously--the feathered flaxen blonde and brunette hair was intoxicating to a wild haired, freckle faced redheaded little girl from Oklahoma like me. My hair never would feather like that. Viva la Farrah, Kate, and Jacqueline. To see Farrah in an interview now just makes me sad, but Jacqueline is still gorgeous to this day.



Holly Holstrom from the Price is Right. OK--Quit laughing you smug people! There were very, very few beautiful redheads on TV when I was a child. Holly was beautiful and she was a redhead, and to little girls everywhere, her job was oh so glamorous! Showcase Showdown anyone?



Lauren Hutton. She was such a hot model when I was a small child. I stayed with my very posh aunt a lot of the time when I was a kid, and she always had the BEST fashion magazines from all over the world. I would devour the pages of French Vogue, Marie Claire, Elle etc. I always thought Lauren looked so natural and so sporty. And the gap in her smile.....Lauren made that gap work! Pox on veneers--Lauren Hutton rocked the imperfect smile!



Carol Alt was another beautiful model from my childhood days. I remember Carol as being the hottest model on the planet next to Christy Brinkley when I was little. I always found Carol's beauty to be much more interesting that Christy's--until Christy married Billy Joel, then Christy was OK by me.



Angie Dickinson. I was very small when Angie was hot, but come on--she was tough as nails, and I loved her hairstyle. She was Police Woman and I wanted some of her piss and vinegar. Angie was a tough broad and I liked her!





Victoria Principal was another lovely redhead on TV when I was young. I used to think Dallas was such a great show when I was a child. Southfork was so glamorous, and they were so wealthy! I wanted to live at Southfork and have a husband just like Bobby Ewing (Patrick Duffy--HA), and be Pamela Ewing. I used to really dream big. Oh Lord!




Patti Hansen was also one of my favorite models when I was a child. She was sometimes honey blonde, but sometimes she was a strawberry blonde-and she always had freckles. I thought she was IT! I could not understand why on earth she married Keith Richards....but I understand it now. Last year, I was lucky enough to get to sit by her at Buff Spa at Bergdorf Goodman in NYC. We were both getting a manicure and we were chatting about Deborah Lippman nail polish. She was loving the color Satin Doll and I told her that Mariah Carey inspired that color. Patti was beautiful, and friendly, and very normal.






Marie Osmond....OK, SHUT UP, I KNOW! But seriously, what little girl from the 70's at least for a fleeting second did not want to be Marie Osmond? Till you admitted the crush on Donny and found out that is just crazy and wrong? I loved Marie. She was wholesome....not to mention she was country and rock and roll dammit! I used to sport a Donny and Marie T-shirt and I was all proud. By the way--Donny is still hot! Mormons age really well. Must be the clean living.

Honorable mention goes to Stephanie Powers from Hart to Hart, Heather Thomas from TJ Hooker, and Joyce Dewitt from Three's Company--shut up, I liked her! She was smart and practical, and THAT IS HOT!

Who were some of your childhood beauty icons? And to my male readers, who did you want to be when you grew up? I already know that Lost Okie loved (and still loves) Clint Eastwood.

Have a beautiful day!

14 Comments:

Blogger IrisLA said...

Ann Francis in the TV show "Honey West." She played a sultry private investigator with cat-like grace and killer kick. She even had a cheetah for a pet. Total glamour. I wanted to be her and grow up to be a PI too.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Oh yeah Iris!

Honey West kicked major butt!
She was so sleek!
Great childhood icon!

Thanks for stopping by!

8:40 AM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Hey Joce--

Oh Totally Dynasty, Dallas, Knots Landing, Falcon Crest--Lornezo Lamas (swoon). I thought all those shows were so posh.
As for Lori Loughlin--she is still hot. Did you see her in Summerland?
It was on last year--she is so lovley.
Did you know she is married to Mossimo of Target glory?

9:31 AM  
Blogger bitingblondewit said...

Angie Dickinson! My mother was such a fan of Police Woman that she originally named me Pepper. Fortunately my grandmother (who was named Sugar) talked her out of it and I was ultimately christened Angie.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

ROFL Angie!!! That is hilarious. Your Grandmother, Sugar forbid your Mother to name you Pepper!

I love that story! I love the name Sugar. Does she go by Shoog?

Have a great day!

2:30 PM  
Blogger priscilla said...

I love this post! You know, though, I would put Lauren Hutton in with the more classic gals...still, Carol Alt? Loved her! And Marie Osmond...I wanted her hair. I had to watch Donny and Marie every Friday night...And Patti Hansen. The Rolling Stones have always been one of my favorite groups, and I thought both Patti Hansen and Marianne Faithfull were IT. :)

3:18 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

What a fun post! I also loved Joyce Dewitt on Three's Company (my favorite sitcom of all time) but also LOVED Terry (oh....Priscilla something!) Loved her.

As far as Angie D. goes, though...she was SO MEAN last night on America's Next Top Model that I may not be able to forgive her ;)

7:40 PM  
Blogger stacy said...

Hey J... just wanted to stop by and see if you saw J. Piv tonight on Leno? He looked fabulous and even did some yoga (he's really flexible!!) on stage with Jay. Hope you caught it! <3
stacy

9:35 PM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Melanie-

Loved Stephanie, ah yes and Tonya Roberts--what about Lee Merriweather(sp?) from Barnaby Jones? Didn't she have red hair? God I am old! HA

Patti remanined mum when I mentioned Mariah Carey. Funny when I was talking to her Keith's face kept popping into my head--skreeeeee.

I agree with you about Elizabeth M. She was beautiful and funny and she had a killer wardrobe on Bewitched.
Oh--do you remember those twins with blonde hair that were always on The Love Boat? When I was little I always thought they were so pretty too. I will try to look them up.


Hello Green Eyes-

You are right about Lauren Hutton, but for some reason I remember seeing her around a lot in mags when I was little. She is still beautiful to this day--in a very earthy, safari type way.
Oh I loved Marianne Faithful too!

4:20 AM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Hi Tessa!
I loved Three's Company too. Pricilla Barnes=Terry the Nurse. She was so pretty...so was the character Jennilee Harrison played.
I had the hugest crush on John Ritter (RIP).

Ok, forgive3 me if I am wrong---but do you mean Janice Dickinson was mean on America's Top Model--as opposed to Angie Dickinson? They are not related as far as I know...but too funny you reference Janice Dickinson because Melanie from the comment above and I had a conversation about Janice Dickinson yesterday. I met Janice and Saks in Chicago and she was a nutter! She painted my nails at the Chanel display with the tester polish. Tee hee hee! She was really funny though--and really beautiful.


Hey Stace Face--

OMG--I missed my boy J-Piv! He is flexible and he did yoga on Jay's stage? Must. Fan. Self. I cannot believe I missed that! GRRRRRR. I usually turn it over to David Letterman without even thinking. Last night, however I think I was asleep before Dave even finished his monologue. I am lame.

You are so funny to think of me when you see Gary or J-Piv. I think of you every time I see a hot newscaster--remember the night we were on the computer rating all the CNN and MSNBC news folks.
Anderson Cooper--I'D DO HIM!
I know you love the Ghudpta (sp?) guy!

xo

4:28 AM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Tessa--I met Janice AT Saks--not AND Saks. Sorry, it is early!

I REALLY wish Blogger would get editing for comments.

Have a great day!

4:30 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Ha ha! You're right. I meant Janice. (Guess I was still worked up about Janice's bitchiness that I didn't realize my own error. My apologies to Angie, not that she would care about some random comment by a random blogger.)

12:19 PM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Tessa-

Boy, Janice must have really pissed you off! Have you seen her new show? When she got kicked off Next Top Model, she then got her own show called "Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency". Ihave not seen it so I am not sure if it is good or not.


Melanie!!!!

YES!! You are a queen amongst queens for trivia!! That is EXACTLY who I meant. I used to think they were so pretty. I wonder what happened to them.
They were so pretty, and they had such squeaky voices, and when they stepped onto the Pacific Princess, Gopher, Doc, Isaac and Captain Stubbing all went into a tailspin!!!

xo
Jen

8:03 AM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Jacqueline is nearly impossibly beautiful really - I can only wish to age as miraculously little as she has over the years.

I wanted to be Hope from Days of our Lives back in the mid 80s. Remember back when she married Larry and there was the Bo-Hope love triangle thing going on? (God, I'm old.) She was gorgeous then. Now the actress who plays her looks so, I dunno, just twisted and weird. I think she got too skinny for her body type? But I thought she was so pretty back in the day. She wore such bright 80s pink lipstick, too, and I totally remember it because I thought that was really glamorous. Hehehe.

My mother-in-law went to school with Joyce DeWitt! And remember that Pinky and the Brain cartoon about Joyce DeWitt? Ah, good times, good times.

The only thing I can remember my husband mentioning about him wanting to be anyone when he was growing up is ThunderCats. He really wanted to be a ThunderCat. *shrug* Boys... Thundercats, HO! My boys will probably name PowerRangers as their male icons from childhood one day. Or Spiderman. Funny how when young, men seem to really admire the tights-wearing set, but then they grow up and get all prissy about other men wearing tights.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home