Thursday, May 29, 2008

Wonderful and Wacky Land of Oz


Something very unsettling about Australia is how very similar it is to the United States in many ways. Australia has KFC, Aldi grocery stores, Target, Pottery Barn (but they call it Domayne), 7-11, ETC. Sometimes we would be walking along and forget we were half way around the world from home. Their TV shows are mostly all American too. American Idol, most daytime soaps, Deal or No Deal, ETC. They do have some of their own shows, but primarily they watch American T.V. . Do not get me wrong, Australia is still very different in many ways, but there were moments that were almost eerie, and I had to take a step back to realize where I was.


One major difference betwixt the US and Oz are the prices of things. Australia is EXPENSIVE. My husband who always complains about prices in Paris, said he would never complain about Paris again because Australia is just THAT EXPENSIVE. A MAC lipstick that is $14.00 dollars at your local Nordstrom was $40.00 in OZ. Granted, prices were in Australian dollars (the AUD), but while we were there the difference between the US dollar and the AUD was about 6 cents. That is insane. Also at 7-11, a 12 oz Diet Coke was around $4.00. Damn. I never even found out what gas/petrol was there a gallon, but everyone drives.

The Australians have parental warnings before every show except cartoons. They warn of the tone, language, content, etc. What I find strange is their commercials. Some of them are QUITE naughty, and they have no warnings. There was one commercial in particular that played over and over. It took my husband and I a few minutes to get it, but once we did, he thought it was the funniest thing ever in the whole world. It is the video at the top of the screen. I am sometimes not successful at imbedding videos into posts so I hope it works. It is quite funny, but naughty none the less. Those crazy Aussies.

Have a wonderful day!

5 Comments:

Blogger WinterWheat said...

ROFL! Cute as it is, I don't think that beaver would take kindly to a Brazilian wax.

I noticed the same things about Australia this spring. The expense (and we were in Melbourne, which is cheaper than Sydney) was quite a shock, as was the uncanny similarity to the U.S. It was like staying with cousins.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

MWA hahahahaha. Beaver. (snort) That is hilarious!

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome. You always have the funniest stuff.

6:35 AM  
Blogger MISS S said...

So I watched that video several times a couple of days ago, and I didn't get it. So a drug mom in here to watch it and give me the 411. She got it right away. Then we both started laughing.

Sorry about the expense. It's a good thing you had that neighborhood garage sale!!

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This movie made double what they were expecting for opening weekend, so a lot of people must have liked it.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home