Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Oscar Faves

I am really late on my report on my favorite Oscar looks and fashions--I mean that was so two nights ago. We have been busy here at Chez MonkeyPosh. All the days are starting to run together.

I honestly fell asleep before the Oscars were over, but I watched the ending the next morning on TIVO. Hooray for The Departed, and Hooray for Helen Mirren.


Nicole looked stunning in Balenciaga.. She was by far one of my favorite looks of the evening. Such a beautiful shade of red. I could do without the shoes, but I love the dress.
Penelope looked gorgeous in this Versace gown. I love everything about her look. The dress is amazing. Such a beautiful color on her skin. The hair and makeup looked great too.
I think my most favorite look of the night was fellow redhead, Isla Fisher. She looks amazing, and her date was by far the HOTTEST of the evening-shout out Sasha Baron Cohen!
Isla wore Monique Lhuillier and the green was so gorgeous on her. I love her big hair and her spray on tan and the whole thing. I love her. Stunning.
I know a lot of people did not like Jessica Biel's look in this Oscar de la Renta dress, but I happen to love it. It provided me with a little entertainment because it set off a joke with my husband. I love the color of the dress and the simple line with the simple punch of the black belt. I was excited about this dress and I said "Oh I love her Oscar de la Renta" to which my husband who was not really paying attention says "Oscar de la Hoya made her dress?".

To which I say "Oh yes, remember how Jessica Biel was spotted with Derek Jeter a few weeks ago"?

Husband: "Yes"

Me: "Well she left Derek for Oscar and he agreed to make her a dress for the Oscars. Isn't that precious...Oscar made her a dress for the Oscars?"

Husband: "REALLY? He sews dresses?"

Me: "Oh yes, he is going to be on Project Runway this season."

Husband: " Oh I knew it would only be a matter of time before quasi celebs tried to make a buck from Project Runway."

Me: " I know....it is such a shame."

I think I may have my husband interested in Project Runway this season. I think I may have him just as excited as I am. The more he believed my crazy story, the more I wanted to keep going. It was like a perfect improv skit that only I could enjoy.

Maybe Nick Verreos will make a guest appearance and my husband will think it is Oscar de la Hoya and I will not be found out to be the awful fibber I am at the expense of a few laughs. At any rate, at least I did get a few laughs.

The lesson we can all take from this is: My husband and all husbands should listen very close when their wives speak--then we can avoid situations like this.

Ahem.
I also thought Reese Witherspoon, and Kate Winslet looked great.

I did not like Kirsten Dunst. Not at all. I have no idea who she is wearing, and I do not even care. She just does not look put together in my opinion. Blah.

I have enjoyed reading everyone else's opinions on the fashion on all the other blogs.

Have a great day!

(photos from People.com)

6 Comments:

Blogger MISS S said...

OSCAR DE LA HOYA...ROFL I dont know if I would have been able to keep a straight face.

Give the man some cheese!!!!!!!!!!

11:51 AM  
Blogger violetnoir said...

Too funny! I guess that's what makes our husbands so adorable. :)

But, girlfriend, I have to disagree with you on all of your picks, except for Reese (who looked fabulous in that Nina Ricci purple. I loved it!). I mean, what is that: A crimson appendage on Nic's neck???

And that dress on Penelope? Beautiful work, but too bottom heavy and structured on top for someone of her small stature. And the hair was way too matronly. No, no, no!

And, Jessica Biel? Let's not even go there.

I happen to love Kirsten's dress, but her makeup and hair looked like an afterthought.

My faves of the evening, besides Reese were: Helen Mirren (simply perfection), Emily Blunt (loved the sapphire blue Calvin Klein), Cate Blanchett (was she wearing that dress or what?), Rachel Weisz (gorgeous Vera Wang...she looked like a thirties screen goddess), Jodie Foster (always well turned out, always!), and JLo (loved it...the stone work at the yoke of the gown was simply stunning).

Biggest disappointment: Jennifer Hudson. I loved her makeup and hair, but that mud-colored dress and Funkadelic style shrug? Huh? What was Oscar de la Renta thinking?

Bet you didn't know I was such a style critic, did you?

Hugs!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I totally agree with you about Nicole. I thought she looked absolutely stunning, and I loved the bow on the dress. I've read that many people hated it, but I thought it was superb. :-) I think Penelope looked like a goddess. I think Jessica Biel is a knockout but I couldn't get past the...erm...sheerness of the front of the dress, is the nicest way to say it. Yikes.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Miss S-

It was easy to keep a straight face I think because it was just so ridiculous. Sometimes the Second City Training pays off in spades!
XOXO

VN-
Dang girl, I do believe you give Joan Rivers a run for her money! HA!
I love love love your views and opinions. Agree on Reese, but I do think the girl is getting a *bit* too skinny.
Agree on Helen Mirren and Rachel Weisz--I think I have a girlcrush on Rachel Weisz. She is gorgeous.
ROFL your comment on Jessica Biel--I loved it. It was bold and it was young...2 things I wish I were.
Emily Blunt did look nice, but I could not get past the LAME-O little scene her and Ann H. did whilst at the podium.
Jennifer Hudson makes me cry--at the Oscars, and in every interview afterwards. You can see that she is just blown away and in awe. I am so excited for her.
I gotta say I was not wowed by J-lo and usually the girl can wow me. The dress was pretty, but I do not know.
I am totally coming to you first next time there is a fashion event, and do you hire out as a stylist becasue I think you could turn some stuff out!
xoxoxoxo to you! Thanks so much for your comments!

Hi C-
Upon further investigation, I must say you are so right about the "sheerness" of Jessica's dress. I did not even notice it at first. She needed something to tone it down--eeeeks.
There is just something so elegant about Nicole. I loved the red.
Penelope's dress was nice, but I sorta agree with Violet Noir above--the bottom was big. It for sure made a statement though.
Have a great day!
I loved your last blog post!
Your husband sounds hilarious!

Have a great day.

6:57 AM  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

ROFL at your story! You don't miss a beat, do you? :-)

I liked Jessica Biel's dress too, but I could've done without the nippage.

My favorite look was probably Cate Blanchett, but she and Nicole Kidman both embodied what I would define as a disturbing trend, that of hyper-refining the shape of the body itself to create the "perfect" triumvirate of face, dress, and body. There's something so Stepford about it. Penelope has a great body but simply appeared to be a lovely woman wearing a snug dress. Cate and Nicole, in contrast, gave off the impression of having tailored their BODIES as well as their dresses. I'm not describing it well, so sorry if this is confusing. It's just the whole package of dress hitting the bust just right, clinging (but not too much) to a perfectly symmetrical and fat-free ribcage, skimming over spare hips and not-too-outwardly-jutting pubic bone, and falling to the precise length of 1/4 inch above the floor (or whatever) that skeeves me out. I felt like I was looking at action figures rather than people. *shudder*

8:23 AM  
Blogger kuri* said...

I love your story!

Totally agree on Nicole and Penelope. The white shoes are cute but match her skin too well. I love the red color and the wonderful fit. She looks regal.

I thought Jessica Biel's dress was a little too shapeless (the part above the belt) and too long for a column dress.

I find Kirsten Dunst's dress the ugliest thing ever. I guess everyone has very different opinions :)

Cate looks great, but I kind of agree with winterwheat; she looks unnaturally perfect. But I love her hair!

3:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home