Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sex And The City--The Movie.


I did not have high hopes for this little piece of highly anticipated cinema. I wrote a blog post a while ago about how I was just so over all the bickering over whether or not they would make a movie. I went to the theater with an open mind, but left with an empty heart. I know that is way over dramatic, but roll with me here.

My friend Pat is a die hard Sex And The City fan- just like me, and we have always had discussions on our love of the show....plus Pat is a movie blogger, so who more befitting to go see the movie with? Pat did an amazingly insightful and thorough review on her well written blog -DOODAD KIND OF TOWN . I cannot even begin to write a review anywhere near her genius, but I will share a few of my random thoughts.
If you have not seen the movie yet, then stop reading here, as some of what I say could be considered spoilers.

First off, WTF with this belt?


Carrie wore this belt in a few different scenes with a few different outfits. When a black studded belt gets more screen time than Stanford...well we all know we are in trouble.

One of my favorite moments of the movie was ...well of course when Big says "I can build you a bigger closet". I loved him at that moment, but that is pretty much where my love for him ended. Anyway, another favorite moment was when Carrie was going to move -I KNOW LEAVING HER ICONIC APARTMENT- so she had to get rid of some things. She did a little impromptu fashion show in her closet for Miranda, Samantha, and Charlotte and one of the things she put on was her tutu dress from the show intro. It was funny and nostalgic and it made me think I was going to love the movie.

Ahem.

My favorite storyline was the one of Miranda and Steve. It seemed real and touching and surprisingly way more rich and meaty than any other story line. I felt more invested in their story than anyone else's. I considered Miranda the star--well her and that effing black studded belt.

Pat and I both felt that the writers of this movie did not stay true to the characters. We all KNOW these characters, and we do not believe their personalities changed so much in the last 3 years. I think the writers underestimated us as fans and intelligent people. When one of Charlotte's major moments in the movie is a poop joke--A POOP JOKE -- I do not know whether to roll my eyes or be insulted. Women are buying these movie tickets Michael Patrick King, NOT twelve year old boys. Come on. That is just a cheap laugh.

Jennifer Hudson--well she was warm enough, but meh, weak storyline, and PLEASE do not get me started on that Louis Vuitton bag.

I loved Carrie's Vogue shoot and the cameo by Andre Leon Talley (who almost got more screen time than Harry and Stanford), but her actual wedding ensemble left me less than impressed. The dress was gorgeous, but Carrie should know that she should not wear red lipstick with blue undertones. NO NO NO.

I must say that I did love most of the fashion, and I do believe Patricia Fields is a genius. I met her once a LaGuardia and she was very nice.

Samantha and Smith bored me to tears. Smith acted stiff (no pun intended) and almost zombie like. Oh and Samantha's dog, although it was funny-it was still twelve year old boy humor.

Pat said it perfectly when she said that Charlotte was mostly there for her Pollyanna reactions. YAWN. I also agree with Pat when she said that Kristen Davis should be miffed at the writers for her weak role in the movie. I love Charlotte.

I loved these characters and I wanted MORE. I also missed their proclaimed fifth character--NEW YORK CITY. She was not really showcased or featured in this movie. Whenever I used to watch the show , I would be swooning over the city and I could not wait till my next trip there. I missed New York in the movie. A lot. After the movie, I just thought about Mexico and falling into a "Mexicoma"-groan. Seriously, I do not even really like Mexico, and seriously I was not crazy about this movie.....which does not surprise me, but somehow makes me sad none the less. I will see it again with friends and hopefully I will pick up on some nuances that maybe I missed the first time around.

I am looking forward to reading everyone else's thoughts and reviews.

Lovely day to all!

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi doll!

It's totes okay for us to disagree on some matters! I love that you said that we didn't see "smoky eye to eye." Hilar. Anywho, I didn't want to post spoilers on my site but I agree with some of the things you didn't like.

Namely:
1. The goth belt. Why?
2. The humping dog was barely funny once. Totally agree with you about the writers treating us as 12 year old boys. That is not my sense of humor. Strangely, poop humor IS. I found Char shitting her pants to be kind of hilar.

3. Agree about Smith. Totally boring. I'd chalked it up to LA, but there was certainly more the writers could have done with him. And some of Sam's outfits are kind of Regis and Kathie Lee... but that's another thing I'm blaming on LA. :)

And lastly I have my own thing to point out: I can't BUHLIEVE the writers think we believe that Mr. Big, a tall sexy millionaire with HAIR rolls solo at a party on New Years. I'm so sure. I wish the writers had had him bring some boring stupid arm candy. That would have been one million times more real.

Anywho. Good points, all of them, P! Have a lovely Saturday!

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell us how you really feel Miss Posh. In all seriousness I agree with you.

Blech, bad taste in mouth.
This movie was so bad on so many levels.
What was the part about Samantha and the neighbor? What was the point? That went nowhere.
The funniest part was her ridiculous hat and her choreographed hiding behind it. I loved that.
ROFL at your comment about Sir Andre having more time in the movie than Stanford or Harry. That is hilarious and yes sadly almost true. And YES the belt. That belt is not even cool. I have one from 1982 I wore it with Joan Jett at Studio 54.
I am also cracking up at your Kathie Lee reference. Lord how I remember those suits with the flared things right on the hips. Only drunk people where flare on the hips.

The dog humping and pant pooping was totally just to fill the gaps. I think Michael Patrick King is so used to only writing 30 minute stories, that something over 2 hours was too much for him.

My favorite thing was the new closet,
and Miranda's brown cowl neck thing she wore to meet Steve on the bridge. I so agree with you about Carrie's wedding lipstick. So not flattering. Pinky orange undertones Carrie. PINKY ORANGE.
I almost forgot Carrie's Gossip Girl nay Punky Brewster outfit she wore to meet Miranda in the park. what the hell?

Thanks for the laughs!

cookie

11:22 AM  
Blogger Patricia Perry said...

I love your comment about the belt getting more screen time than Stanford or Harry!

I wrote my review while still buzzed from our Cosmos, but two days later and stone cold sober, I havent' changed my mind at all. The writing was just flabby and it took WAY too long for both Miranda and Carrie to come to their senses about the men in their lives. I think Michael Patrick King handles these characters brilliantly in 30-minute bites, but a 2.5 hr movie was just too much for him.

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This movie made double what they were expecting for opening weekend, so a lot of people liked it.

8:21 AM  
Blogger violetnoir said...

I'm not reading this yet...have not seen the movie...I'm not reading this yet...have not seen the movie...I'm not reading this yet...have not seen the movie...

Hugs!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Fightin' Mad Mary said...

I'm going to wait a bit before I see this one, but I will say this - I've never seen so many women dressed up to go to the movies as I did this weekend! I went to the Arclight to see Indy Jones and everywhere I turned I saw women dressed to the nines in Jimmy Choos waiting in the SATC movie line. The theater has a bar, it was packed triple thick with ladies drinking cosmos.

When I finally do cave and see this flick, I'm sure I'll notice that belt again and again!

Great review!

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting thoughts you have.
I find it interesting that fabulista blames boring Smith and Sam's bad fashion on LA. LA was like a odd duck in the movie. The gratuitious Rodeo Drive shopping scene was so dumb.

I agree about Miranda. The story between her and Steve seemed most real. Big and Carrie's story was stupid, and Charlotte and Harry's story, well we do not know because they did not show it.
Samantha's story was boring.

I did like most of the fashion but cracking up at your disdain of the belt.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Swirl Girl said...

I'm sorry it didn't live up to your expectations... Your review was very entertaining though. I will wait until it is a renter.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Fightin' Mad Mary said...

I'm going to see the flick on Wednesday night and don't you know that I'm going to be sitting there looking for that darn belt.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Junie B said...

HEY! i've had your blog still on my list all this time!!

Maybe you found me by my SATC bit? Not sure...

But you know I gotta say I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED the movie...and thats funny, one of my favorite parts was the 'fashion show' too as she was packing up!!

and yeah, still love CCR, but that part of my life (the road tripping to see bands, and all night parties has left the building)...but I still heart heart their music!!

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home