Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Top 5 Reasons I adore Trader Joe's





I Love Trader Joe's. Just walking into their store makes me feel healthier. Since one opened near me, I find myself shopping there more and more. Here is a list of my top 5 favorite things I love at Trader Joe's.

#1. Would have to be their Lobster Bisque. I happen to love Lobster Bisque and I am always trying it at restaurants, and more often than not, I am disappointed. This one at Trader Joe's though is EXCELLENT. I would eat it every day if I could. You just heat and eat. I sometimes add a little milk so it will not be so thick. Delicious! This just makes me happy!



# 2. Is TWO BUCK CHUCK!! I love the $2 buck Chuck aka Charles Shaw wine. Where I live it is actually 3 bucks, but in California it is still 2 bucks. Is it classy? no--but it is a very nice wine for the price, and it does not give me that "cheap wine headache" that so many other cheap wines do. Charles Shaw for Pres!

#3. Is their Sesame Honey Cashews. I love nuts, and when I am on a healthy eating kick, I eat LOTS of nuts. These are so delicious. I love the way the sesame, honey and cashew flavors blend together. MMMMMM. They are just sweet enough that you think you are getting a real treat.




#4. On my list would be their soups in a box. I have creamy tomato in the photo, but I also love thier butternut squash soup. You can just heat them up, but I always embellish the soups a little to make them unique. With the tomato I add a little chorizo ( mexican sausage), and top with some cheese, sour cream and my favorite hot sauce. With the butternut squash, I get some purple pepper (in season from the farmers market) a little butter, salt and pepper and it is delicious--especially with a toasted piece of crispy bread.

#5. Is Charlee Bear organic dog treats. My dogs love these treats. They are especially great for small dogs because they are little bites of joy. I usually get 3 bags at a time of these because they are a healthy treat for my boys.

I love the whole whimsical feel of Trader Joe's. The way they package their ethnic foods cracks me up--like a Spanish item will be labeled "Trader Jose's" -that makes me laugh.

There are a whole litany of other things I love at Trader Joe's and I may compile another list soon. Support your local health food /organic stores. It is really hard for them to compete with the huge Jewel Osco /Meijer type stores---and besides it could do us all good to eat healthier!

12 Comments:

Blogger TessaJ said...

I love the boxed soups and the Charlee Bear doggie treats! But tend to avoid the produce -- everything is overpackaged and too big in quantity (I just go to my local market for produce). But TJs is great for bulk stuff and wine.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Fightin' Mad Mary said...

You've inspired me...I'm going to do a similar post about my 5 favorite Trader Joe's items.

BTW - I don't think my local store carries the Lobster Bisque - but I'll ask next time I'm there.

I love every last soup in a box that they sell.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Melvis-
Hi Love! You are correct, the fresh flowers are lovely. I have yet to try thier chocolate gelato. I will have to try that next time I am there...Oh and the coconut sorbet!
I love their salmon pinwheels!!!
I also love their sunflower butter...just like peanut butter, but made out of sunflower seeds!
YUM...I also love their cheese selection. I could go on for days!

xo

Hello Tessa!
Are you back from your wonderful, swoonworthy, and full of roadkill (HA) trip?
If you are back, I hope you had a wonderful time!

Hello Mary-

How are you? Yay! I have inspired someone--HA!
I am excited to see your Trader Joe's list. You always have the best taste in things.
Speaking of good taste, are you still loving your Luckyscent fragrances?

Have a wonderful night!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

And by the way Mary...I hope your store carries the bisque because it is to die for!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Curley's Mobile DJ Services said...

2 Buck Chuck is awesome!!!

You like nuts? I can't imagine how to throw that in your face except for the 3rd grade cut - YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT!

You should also try the Honey Pretzels. A cheap snack that you do not feel guilty about.

The dirty secret about Trader Joe's is that it has really cheap liquor. (I once dated a cheap liquor)! Almost all of their alcohol is cheaper than most stores!

Protein supplement are also a good buy at TJ's.

11:52 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I love Trader Joes! They have the most awesome products.

I used to buy Astro's dog glucosomine pills there, and I still cannot go inside the store yet.

Soon. Though. But I have been in lots of other stores...See my latest post.

xoxox

9:02 AM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Two Buck Chuck causes me to break out into a case of the *shudders* No matter how broke-ass we ever are, we just can't find it potable. It's... perhaps an acquired taste?

Have you tried Rex Goliath? It's all of a dollar more than the Charles Shaw and way, way better.

I haven't seen those flavored cashews at our TJ! WAH! Those sound so tasty! All I ever usually see is just plain old nuts, though occasionally there's some "spicy hot" flavor or another. Mmmmmm, sesame honey cashews.... mmmmmmm....

I too am a fan of their cheese section. And, believe it or not, their prepared lunch hour salads are really good. I'm all about their pasta section though - cheap and good tasting whole wheat noodles, and their marinara sauces are really good for something that comes in a jar! And I'm so all about the jar sauce nowadays.

And I love the TJ Honey Mango shave cream! Clearly it's manufactured by Alba Botanica, but it's only three bucks and is BETTER smelling than any of the actual Alba Botanica ones.

I gotta mention the Lobster Bisque to my husband: he's the meateater in the family, and I bet he'd go nuts over that.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

*LostOkie-

Ahem--you once dated a cheap liquor? If I were a betting woman I would say that is probably a play on words, but I do not want to go there this early in the morning-HA!
I do like their liquor and beer selection there.
And if I am what I eat, then I am a big old fish stick!

*Barb-
Hello Love! I will check out your latest post.
xoxo to you!

*Hi Katie-
When you say The Chuck gives you the shudders--do you mean really like it makes you shake, or you just shudder in disguist. I am not being silly here--some people FREAK OUT on certain sulfites (?) that some wines have. My aunt gets all rashy and weird with some wines.
I have not tried the Rex Goliath--but I will. Thanks for the rec.

I love their honey mango shave cream too! I wish they had a bigger health and beauty section like Whole Foods--I also love Whole Foods.
If your TJ's does not have the cashews, I would be glad to send you some...lemme know.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

5:51 AM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Oh I just shudder in disgust - it tastes so flat to me, so we'd just rather skip it, and buy something else instead, you know? It's not that it's really unpotable - only not quite up to what I prefer to sip at.

2:36 PM  
Blogger baconwrappedfriedchicken said...

Jen Jen!

I love TJ's too... I love their little frozen pizzas and just about all of their cooking/simmer sauces.

Rex Goliath is delicious- I've never found it at Trader Joe's, but the cheapest I've seen it is $5.99 at Cost Plus. Great Pinot Noir with lots of fruit! It comes in a cobalt blue bottle with a rooster on the label, in case you're looking!

xox
Ange

1:23 AM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Hey Angela!!!
How are you sweetie? So great to see you here. Thanks for the info on the Rex Goliath.

I will write you soon!
How is B?

xo

5:04 AM  
Blogger Heather Jane said...

Dammit all to heck and beyond, I wish we had a Trader Joe's up here in Canad-er.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home