Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Not me.


This weekend I attended a performance of "Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" by Edward Albee in Chicago. It stars Kathleen Turner and Bill Irwin. I love theater--musicals, plays, etc. I love it all. We have season tickets to the theater in Chicago, and we frequent Broadway shows in NYC. I have no talent, so I am in awe of people who can sing and dance and act--often at the same time.
This play perplexed me. The acting was great (even though Kathleen Turner is the same in every role) and kept me entertained-- however the plot eluded me. I did not get it. Kathleen and Bill play a married couple fighting, bickering, arguing, drinking, criticizing, tormenting, drinking more, etc. It got old. There was another couple in the play and I do not even know why they were included. They were mainly just background to all the fighting and the drinking.
I was feeling a little lost and disconnected and like the play was not speaking to me until one pivotal point in the play that Bill Irwin said something that moved me. He said: "It is all part of the ritual, Monkey Nipples". At that point it all made sense. It all came together, I felt a light shine down on me, and I knew this play was speaking directly to me. I finally got it.
Thanks Edward Albee.
Have a theatrical day!

5 Comments:

Blogger Curley's Mobile DJ Services said...

"It's all a part of the ritual, Monkey Nipples."

I have dreamt many a moon about monkey nipples. They haunt me because of their length and shocking neon pink color. I have had one nightmare where I was being chased by a giant long pink monkey nipple with legs. The nipple chased me off of a cliff where I felt like I was falling for an eternity. When I looked down in the black nothingness I saw that I was falling closer and closer to a group of Firemen who were ready to catch me in what looked like one of those old school safety tramps that they would catch falling suicidal maniacs with in desperation. As a sped closer to the tramp I noticed that it wasn’t a trampoline at all but a giant glowing neon pink monkey nipple that the firemen were rapidly waving up and down just like the popcorn parachute game that we would play in elementary school during gym with a parachute and wiffle balls. (This was the game that we would sometime play that had no meaning what so ever. You basically just placed about fifty wiffle balls into the center of a full sized parachute and the kids would rapidly wave the balls out of the center of the shoot onto the floor like screaming maniacs). Anyway, the dream ended with me screaming closer and closer to the giant pink neon monkey nipple while the firemen waved and screamed a constant scream just like the child maniacs in my gym class. As they screamed and waved, I screamed and waved trying to stop my plummet into the giant neon pink monkey nipple. I finally awoke screaming in terror in a pool of my own sweat in the middle of my living room floor. I slowly gathered myself while catching my breath. I groggily walked to the bathroom, opened the medicine cabinet to grab an aspirin and then leaned down to the faucet to splash cold water onto my face. I lifted up then closed the mirrored medicine cabinet door to see a giant neon pink monkey nipple bite my head off. I then really woke up screaming in a pool of my own piss.

Beware the Monkey Nipples

4:41 PM  
Blogger Swirl Girl said...

I can't get Kathleen Turner's character out of my head from when she played Chandler's gay cross-dressing father on Friends.

7:53 PM  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Have you seen the movie, J? It's one of my favorites. Depressing, but still... god. The first time I saw it I understood how Liz Taylor got her reputation as a heavy hitter, acting-wise.

p.s. My v-word is "snuwzed." I "snuwzed" through this week's episode of The Daily Show.

11:08 AM  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

One more comment, totally unrelated to this post. I was looking at old posts, and marveling at your gorgeous Bambi-like eyelashes. I'm betting that most of that is genetic, but could you kindly share some info about the non-genetic part (i.e., mascara brands and application techniques)? Thanks!

10:31 AM  
Blogger EMILY said...

Were you very disappointed that KT didn't get butt-naked with Jason Biggs? That was probably the source of confusion all the preparation to duck and cover for her big nude scene that never came.

Are you absolutely sure he said monkey nipples?

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home