Thursday, October 04, 2007

Santa Maria Novella --Firenze

Upon arriving in Florence, we went to the hotel, dropped our bags off and started exploring . Jetlag be damned---I was in Florence--home of Santa Maria Novella, I HAD to go there right away. The Santa Maria Novella is a church located right by the train station in Florence. The basilica of the church dates back to the 1400's when Dominican Monks started developing herbal ointments and treatments to cure and treat the sick. In 1612 the Monks decided to open the pharmacy up to the public to make money and it is still very popular today. How amazing!

All the products are made by hand right there at Santa Maria Novella in very much the same way they have been made for centuries.

The Officina Profumo Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella (where all the goods are sold) is located in an old chapel full of beautiful architecture and art and located around the corner from the Santa Maria Novella Church.
The inside of the Profumo Farmeceutica smells of gorgeous incense and everything is displayed so beautifully. The display cabinets are grand and made of shiny dark wood. The whole place is beautiful and almost reverent and it really has an apothecary feel.
You can find soaps, perfumes, bath oils, toothpaste, essences and even breath mints there. I bought a bottle of Angels Of Florence which I was told is exclusive to the Florence location. It is lovely. I am not sure of the notes, but it is a white flower type scent. Very light and perfect for warm Tuscan weather. I also bought oils and essences of acacia and jasmine. Everything at SMN is beautifully packaged, and they have a price menu in 5 or 6 different languages so it is very easy to shop there--pending a tour group has not invaded the place. Pox on all the tour groups!

This is a photograph of me outside the Farmaceutica, all proud with my new purchases!


This is the beautiful inner courtyard of the Santa Maria Novella. Very serene and quiet and a popular place for joggers and readers. I read somewhere they also do weddings there by special arrangement. How dreamy!
The Santa Maria Novella is a must see, especially if you are a perfume lover like me. It was one of the many highlights of our trip to Italy.
Have a lovely day!


Officina Promfumo Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella
16 Via della Scala
Firenze, Italy
tel: +39 055 216276 or +39 055 4368315
(all photos property of MonkeyPosh LLC)

6 Comments:

Blogger violetnoir said...

Wonderful, J! I wish I could have been there to share the afternoon with you at SMN.

Hugs and love!

8:19 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I was there this past July! Don't you wish they could bottle the scent of the room? It smelled so wonderful in there that I wanted to stay all day. Love the pictures!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing your information and your pictures.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your pictures and I am so jeal of your many travels to cool places.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Hi R--
I wish you could have been there too. I look forward to fragrance shopping with you someday in sunny Los Angeles!

xo

Hi Carolyn--

I loved the pictures you shared on your blog of your Italian Holiday.
You and your hubby are soooo cute!
I do agree--I wish they would bottle the scent inside Santa Maria Novella. Such a beautiful place!
Thanks for your comment!

Hi Anon-

You are welcome! Thanks for stopping by!

lovely day to all!

9:30 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Looks like you had the most amazing time, Jen. How lovely are those gardens, and you captured them so beautifully in the photographs.

Also, I am admiring the bags you are carrying. A bit of a shopper, huh!!

I am trying to blog again. Actually, I have missed it.
xox
b

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home