Monday, June 09, 2008

Monday Love

Happy Monday!
It seems like forever since my last post--but I guess it has only been 9 days. That is almost forever in the blogging world. Time seems to be getting away from me lately. For some reason, we are just so busy. When the weather gets warm, the world moves fast.
In between the litany of menial chores I am inundated with , I have been occupying myself with some things I am loving lately.
First off -I am SO EXCITED that some of my favorite authors have new books out this summer.
I think David Sedaris is a genius and I liken myself to an aggressive Amway salesperson or creepy Landmark Forum convert when trying to push David's literature onto my friends. I want everyone I know to experience Sedaris. I want them to know the gift of his words. As I said, he is genius. I cannot relate to you, if you cannot relate to Sedaris. Period. My husband read about 20 pages of "Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim" then exclaimed--"I do not get it, this book is not funny." What? Who is this alien mutant I married? Needless to say, marriage counseling ensued. I guess you have to have a sense of humor to actually get humor. I was thrilled to find out David has a new book titled "When You Are Engulfed In Flames". I bought it on Friday and I have been laughing like a hyena ever since.

Ann Leary, who is the wife of comedian and actor Dennis Leary also has a new book out called "Out-takes From A Marriage". I bought this book on Friday too and I cannot wait to start it.
A few years ago I read Ann Leary's book titled " An Innocent A Broad". I loved it. It is a true story of how Ann went with Dennis on tour in Europe many years ago when she was pregnant with their first child. She went into pre-term labor while in Britian and had to stay in Europe for months in order to save her baby. They had no money, no family there, they were not familiar with Europe, they were young and scared. It is a great book.

I am also obsessed with this balsamic vinegar from Melina's. We ordered it from Modena, Italy. The selling points were that it was thick like honey and delicious enough to eat on ice cream....HUH? Vinegar on ice cream? Well you know I had to order it right away. It is indeed delicious and thick and tastes nothing like the balsamic you get at the local grocery store. I have not tried it on ice cream yet, but I did try it on some strawberries and it was more like a glaze with a kick. Delicious.
I am also very excited that one of my friends in New York (by way of London) is going to launch a new line of nail polish very soon. It is yet to be named and there is no launch date yet, but she sent out a few polish prototypes and I am loving this one. It is a lovley pinkish nude with sparkle. Actually getting a new product off the ground can sometimes take forever.
I will keep you updated as I know the scoop.
Oh and I love my new washer and dryer. I resisted a front loader washing machine forever, but we needed a new set as ours was ancient and plain and refused to spin anymore. I was dazzled by all the showy models . I refused to get a showy one, and you can see from the picture that I stuck to my guns. Bright obnoxious metallic red is not showy AT ALL. What? You can tell from the photo that I am a little nervous about all the bells and whistles. When it finishes a load, it plays a little tune that sounds like the ice cream man. Ahhhhh.

In addition, I am loving this new chair that I purchased from Tonya, the designer extrordinaire at my local Walter E. Smithe furniture store. Finley loves the new chair too. He barked at it for the first day, but then made his peace by evening and now he calls it mama and sleeps with it every night.

Lastly, I am elated that the Celtics and the Lakers are once again battling it out for the NBA Championship. I have been a die hard Celtics fan my whole life, so this is very exciting to me. GO BOSTON!!!!!

Here is hoping everyone is having a lovely Monday!

(photos from Amazon.com, MonkeyPosh L.L.C. , and Courant.com)

16 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

oh my, am I ever jealous of that washer and dryer. ohhhhhh, i love them, subtle color and all. ;)

1:31 PM  
Blogger Patricia Perry said...

I'm digging those sparkly, pale-pink nails.

I cannot wait to read David Sedaris' new book, may have to get that one to read on the plane.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Girl-Woman said...

I'm glad to see you back and Finley under the chair. I love the chair! And The Finster! I am glad to see you are chatting about books, too.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

ah, well i'm a RED sox fan, as you can see from my dogs blog. he's wearing my favorite sweatshirt.

YOU GOT A FRONT LOADING WASHER!!! i'm SO jealous~ tat's the only way to get clothes clean! dirty water should fall down NOT swish around...damn.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lordy Lordy! I love that nudey disco polish, and your washer and dryer, and balsmaic vinegar, and the chair, and Finley.
I love Sedaris too. I cannot believe your 'sband did not get it.
Men! Well, Straight Men, SHEESH.

Love to you,

4:53 PM  
Blogger Fightin' Mad Mary said...

I love David Sedaris, balsamic vinegar, sparkle nail polish, front load washers AND stylish chairs. Great post!

11:39 PM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

*Hi Jamie,
Thanks. Now that I am used to them, I love them too. I wanted hot pink, but I could not find it. Drats.

*Hi Pat-
I love that polish too. I cannot wait till the whole line comes to fruition. The thing I hate about reading hardback books on the plane is that they are so bulky and heavy in your luggage. I would suggest I-Tunes, but it is not on there yet.
SKREEEE--your trip is so soon!
I am sure you are beyond excited!

*Hi Bec-
How are you and the Haute Dog? Thanks for your kind words. The Finster is quite a card!
Hope all is great with you!

*Hello Tanya,
I kinda love the Red Sox too, but I cannot say that too loud here in Chicago. My favorite team is the Yankees though.
Thanks for visiting.

*Hi Shiloh-
I think glitter polish is very disco too. Yes-Straight Men-they do not get anything!

* HI Mary-
I know-Sedaris is so funny. I think I get a lot of his stuff because he grew up in the South, so I can relate to some of his subtle nuances.
Hugs to you and Day-Z!

4:30 AM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

BTW, i LOVE Sedaris and i marinated some tofu with olive oil and balsamic vinegar becuase of your post.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I think David Sedaris is hilarious. I remember crying I was laughing so hard at some of the moments in "Holidays on Ice." That balsamic vinegar sounds amazing. I went to an Italian restaurant yesterday that had olive oil ice cream and gorgonzola cheesecake. I think the balsamic for dessert would have fit right in there! :-)

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chair looks great, glad your Scotty likes Zebra's. Tonya is awesome, glad you enjoyed working with her. Thanks for the business.
Walter Smithe

7:32 AM  
Blogger Girl-Woman said...

Hi Jen. Me again. I copied your book reviews to send to my book club. We were stuck picking a summer book. Also, I tagged you. Check the blog for details.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

*Tanya-
Here is to the redheads with the Sedaris love!!
Oh and I am so happy this post could be your tofu inspiration.
I am loving your Tahoe post. Pretty pics and hilarious content!


*Carolyn-
Hello Doll! David makes me cry too. The story about him as the Macy's Christmas Elf (Crumpett) was killing me. So. Dang. Funny!
OLIVE OIL ICE CREAM and GORGONZOLA CHEESECAKE???!!! Where is this place? Do they ship?
Hope you and the hubby are doing great!

*Dearest Walter,
Yes, Tonya is a gem and a total asset to your company. She is fun and helpful, and has great taste. I look forward to working with her in the future.
Finley not only likes zebras, but all of God's creatures. Especially frogs, but Tonya did not show me any frog chairs.

P.S. I love your commercials, and all the Smithe men are handsome.
Have a great day!

*Hello Bec-
Hooray--you are more than welcome to my book reviews...even though they are pretty silly. I highly suggest either book to anyone, although I think females would enjoy the Ann Leary ones more than a male would.
I am happy to be tagged and I will commence with my answers later tonight or in the morning.
Thanks for thinking of me.

Hugs!

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the vintage Celtic pic.
My how time flies.
Speaking of Boston,
I love Dennis Leary but I had no idea that his wife wrote books. Who knew? I love his fireman show.
Is his wife as funny as him?
I love David Sedaris too. He is so entertaining and it seems as though he does not even try. His sister is funny too. Do you ever watch "Strangers With Candy"?
You must must must give the deets on the nail polish. That is too exciting. I love that color.

Kudos on the washer and dryer and the balsamic and of course the chair. Did Walter Smithe write you for reals? That is awesome!
Take care Monkey.

10:54 AM  
Blogger violetnoir said...

Lord, woman, so much news, I just can't keep up!

I love your new washer/dryer bling! Who says a washer/dryer cannot be beautiful...and functional, too?

Love the nail polish, too. Much success to your friend. I want to be one of her loyal customers, so I can't wait for this to launch.

Finley is as adorable as ever!

I think David Sedaris is great, too. I heard his interview on Fresh Air on NPR last night. He actually moved to Japan to quit smoking?! However, I must admit that I am more into non-fiction these days. I just started David Levering Lewis' book on WEB DuBois, and it promises to be an amazing adventure through the life of a man many consider the father of the Civil Rights Movement.

Hugs! Will email you later this month with details, okay?

12:16 PM  
Blogger Junie B said...

Hey there...I forgot to tell you...Cross Canadian Ragweed is SCHEDULED to be on David Letterman on Monday, June 30th.

Mark your calendar. If that changes I will let you know.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Hey J--wanted to respond before I forgot, that the restaurant is Tosca. It's fab and I am pretty positive that you would love it. You and the hubby will have to go there the next time you are in DC!

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home