Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Home

I am home from our journey to Alaska. It was beautiful, and rugged, and not at all what I thought it would be. We landed in Fairbanks, rented a car and drove all over that huge state.
When I was in college, one of my favorite songs was "Anchorage" by Michelle Shocked and one of the lines is : "Hey Chel, you know it's kind of funny, Texas always seemed so big, but you know you're in the largest state in the Union when you're anchored down in Anchorage". No truer words were ever sung--especially if you are driving through Alaska. The maps are all so misleading, simply because the scale is so much bigger there. What might be 10 miles on a map of New Jersey can easily be 70 or 80 miles in Alaska. However, the drive 90% of the time in Alaska is simply breathtaking. We drove from Fairbanks, to North Pole, to Delta Junction, to Denail, to Anchorage, to Seward. Seward, Alaska is easily one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. My husband stayed a few days longer than me in Seward to go fishing. He was supposed to fish for salmon and halibut, but due to the long winter there, the salmon were not in yet. That was a bummer, but not all is lost because now we have a freezer full of Alaskan halibut that my husband caught. Who knew I was married to such a Grizzley Adams?!
The above photo is our drive into Denali National Park.
Denali is the native Alaskan name to Mt. McKinley. That is not Mt. McKinley in the photo as most of the time the peak of Mt. Mckinley is in the clouds and even catching a glimpse is a lucky thing.
More photos coming soon.
I hope everyone's summer is as great as mine!
Lovely day to all.
(photo from MonkeyPosh, LLC)

6 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

So if you're MonkeyPosh, does that make the hubs "Grizzlyposh?" Ha! I'm so glad to hear you had a good time.

7:02 AM  
Blogger violetnoir said...

Great photo, J! I can't wait to see more.

And, yes, I think you should call your hubby "Grizzly." I bet he had a blast fishing!

Hugs!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Jacki said...

How beautiful, I can't wait to see more photos!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Swirl Girl said...

Wow... I did not know you married Grizzley. Give him my best... and are you cooking the fish? I'm proud. I've heard it is beautiful. I am anxious to see your pics.

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle Shocked is amazing. I saw her in Austin a few years ago. I wish she were not quite so political though. Artists should stick to art and. When someone buys a ticket to their show it is for thier art, NOT thier opinions. I still love her music though.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome back, doll! I am loving your pics so far! Grizzly is HILAR. PS I never did find out what's in scrapple, however, I can tell you that I have (and do!) avoided it like the PLAGUE. It's various pig parts. Vom. Hope you're enjoying being back in Chi-town!

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home