Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Magazine Love

I LOVE magazines, I buy WAY too many magazines. All the shiny pictures make me pie-eyed and giddy --HA!My girl, Giada De Laurentiis is looking HOT on the cover of Town & Country this month. I know a lot of people do not love her. One friend in particular made fun of her for "being so excited about her food". Well, how else are you supposed to act on your own show about food? Morose and bored? When I was looking for this magazine cover on line, I also found a bunch of nasty stuff on the internet about her. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but she is just a pretty chef who got her own show, and she is always very happy and excited about her food. I like her and I think she is ever so cute! I want to shop with her and cook with her then go get a manicure with OPI Bubble Bath (the polish she wears) with her! Her photo layout inside the magazine is adorable too.
Lucky Magazine was rocking my socks this month too. First off, I love Rosario Dawson. She is like 'Kick Ass Chic" ( Chic pronounced SHEEK ). I thought she was awesome in RENT (the movie) as Mimi. She really surprised me, and I am a total RENT snob. One time my friend Lina (who is also a RENT snob) and I went to see RENT (on stage) in Chicago and guess who played Roger? Constantine Maroulis from American Idol that is who. It was before Constantine was on American Idol so we had no idea who he was--we just knew we were ticked off because he looked like Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump. Roger is supposed to be hot and smoldering and sexy, not like a tall, long haired Lt. Dan. Whatever.

Lucky also has a section this month about personal styles and some different fashion icons that embody the certain style. The COQUETTE style is inspired by Jane Birkin. I love Jane Birkin--her whole dramatic, earthy, bohemian, French thing really appeals to me in a big way. I do not think Jane Birkin gets the recognition she deserves (well at least not here on this side of the pond). She was so naughty and cutting edge during her time. She is the muse to the impossibly gorgeous and elusive Hermes Birkin Bag.

Another Inspiration featured is Catherine Deneuve for the CLASSIC FRENCH collection. Catherine has always been a fashion icon to me. I think I love her layout best in the magazine. There is a gorgeous Chanel Blush called Orchid Rose that looks peachy and shimmery and beautiful. There is also a very cute pair of shoes by
CHIE MIHARA called "Ucrin". They are little white slingbacks and they look like total Parisian minx from the 60's kind of shoes. I really like them. Chie Mihara makes some very interesting footwear.

Also--if you happen to get the CHICAGO version of Lucky with the "Bonus Chicago Section" starting on page 143 then you will see a little write up about
ANJENU. Anjenu is a paper and stationary store located at:

1747 W. Division Street
Chicago, Illinois

The phone number is :
773.469.2212

The store is owned by a friend of a friend, and I have heard it is awesome. The owner K, carries high end stationary and original etched cards . If you mention the LUCKY add you can save 20% on everything. Kudos to Anjenu for not even being a year old and getting a shout out in LUCKY--which I condsider my personal Bible. Awesome!

If you get the chance, get Lucky this month- it is really worth the look.

Have a lucky day.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. I too love magazines. I never met a magazine I didn't like.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Nicky said...

I LOVE Giada too!! And I really liked this issue of Lucky as well, the fashion icons feature was so fun. Have a great weekend!

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a magazine addict, so I can totally relate! I don't watch Giada much, but she seems nice. Now, Rachel Ray is the one who sends me over the edge - blecch!!!
I will admit some of her recipes are good, but I'd rather just buy her cookbooks. But my big girl-crush on the Food Network right now is Nigella Lawson -love that plummy Brit accent.

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've let most of my magazine subscriptions go... I always mean to read them, and then forget 'til I have a stack just staring at me in the living room rack. Lucky can be quite fun, of course. My favorites are Archaeology and Scientific American, but I usually just steal my dad's issues, since apparently geekiness is genetic. The one mag I really love that I always forget to renew is Interview. I just love the way their photo spreads look (sometimes a little arty, but always interesting), and of course they have some quirky interviews that make for fun reading.

What do you think of InStyle? That's one that always looks good, but last time I subscribed, I was kind of disappointed and haven't revisited it. Has it gotten any better, or worse?

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, Jen, I like Giada, in all of her size 2 glory, but I gotta tell you: Of all the Food Network divas, I love Paula Deen the best. I think she is beautiful, bawdy, loads of fun, and simply one of the best cooks out there today. Her praline french toast with raspberry-chambord syrup is to die for!

Hugs, babe!

6:50 PM  
Blogger purplecupcake said...

We share the same obsession and I love Giada to death. She makes cooking look so fun and easy!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Swirl Girl said...

I am a magazine addict. It is a sickness. I'm glad to see all these people on your blog here (including you) who share my sickness. I do not feel alone.

Miss you. Hope you had a safe trip.

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am a glossy addict - I have subscriptions to eight uk titles!! aagghh I need help. We don't have Lucky in the UK, so currently feeling slightly peeved and left out!!!

12:14 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I too love magazines, and have way too many...

xox

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like Giada and I cannot understand why there are so many haters. I also love mags they are so much fun to read and I always get something out of them.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home